- Itinerary: The tour itinerary should include all the major attractions and activities you are interested in, such as visiting watchtowers, wildlife spotting, exploring the mangrove forests, and visiting nearby cultural attractions.
- Accommodation: Choose a package that offers comfortable and hygienic accommodation as per your budget, whether it’s a guesthouse or a resort.
- Transportation: Choose a package that offers safe and reliable transportation, such as a private boat or a group tour, depending on your preference.
- Guide and Safety: Choose a package that includes a knowledgeable and experienced guide who can ensure your safety and help you make the most of your tour.
- Price: Compare the prices of different tour packages to find one that offers good value for money and fits your budget.
- 2 Nights / 3 Days Sundarbans Tour Package
- 3 Nights / 4 Days Sundarbans Tour Package
- 4 Nights / 5 Days Sundarbans Tour Package
- Customizable Sundarbans Tour Package
The best time to visit Sundarban is during the winter season, which lasts from November to February. During this time, the weather is mild, and the temperature ranges from 15°C to 25°C, making it comfortable for outdoor activities such as boat safaris, nature walks, and birdwatching. The winter season is also the driest time of the year, with minimal rainfall, which makes it easier to explore the Sundarbans without any interruption. The water level in the rivers and canals is also relatively low during this time, which means that the boats can navigate more easily through the mangrove forests. On the other hand, the monsoon season, which lasts from June to September, brings heavy rainfall and strong winds, making it difficult to explore the Sundarbans. The summer season, which lasts from March to May, is hot and humid, and the temperature can soar up to 40°C, making it uncomfortable for outdoor activities. In summary, the best time to visit Sundarban is during the winter season (November to February) when the weather is mild, dry, and comfortable for outdoor activities.
No, it is not possible to go to Sundarbans by car as the forest is located in a remote area and can only be accessed by boat. The nearest roadhead is Godkhali, which is about 110 km from Kolkata and is the starting point for most Sundarbans tours. From Godkhali, visitors have to take a motorized boat to reach the forest.
It is recommended to hire a car or taxi from Kolkata to reach Godkhali, as it is a long journey that takes around 3-4 hours. Once you reach Godkhali, you have to park your vehicle and continue the journey by boat.
Therefore, while it is not possible to go to Sundarbans by car, you can still hire a car or taxi to reach the nearest roadhead and then continue your journey by boat to explore the mangrove forests and its wildlife.
Here are some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind when going on a jungle safari in Sundarbans:
- Follow the instructions of your guide at all times, and stay with your group to avoid getting lost.
- Wear comfortable and appropriate clothing that protects you from the sun, insects, and other elements.
- Carry enough water and snacks to keep yourself hydrated and energized during the safari.
- Carry a good quality camera or binoculars to capture the wildlife and scenery.
- Respect the natural environment and avoid littering or damaging the flora and fauna.
- Observe wildlife from a safe distance and avoid disturbing or approaching them too closely.
- Listen carefully to the sounds of the forest and try to spot animals in their natural habitat.
- Do not carry any plastic or non-biodegradable items that can harm the environment.
- Do not make loud noises or play music that can disturb the wildlife or other tourists.
- Do not feed or touch any animals, as this can be dangerous for both the animals and humans.
- Do not smoke or light fires in the forest, as this can start a wildfire.
- Do not wear bright colors or strong perfumes that can attract insects or animals.
- Do not venture into the forest alone, especially at night or without a guide.
- Do not try to swim in the rivers or canals, as they can be infested with crocodiles and other dangerous creatures.
By following these do’s and don’ts, you can have a safe and enjoyable jungle safari experience in Sundarbans.
The Sundarbans, located in the delta region of the Ganges, Brahmaputra, and Meghna rivers, is home to a unique and diverse range of flora that has adapted to the saltwater environment. Some of the prominent flora found in the Sundarbans are:
- Sundari Tree – The Sundari tree (Heritiera fomes) is the dominant species of the Sundarbans forest. They grow up to 40 meters tall and play a vital role in maintaining the ecosystem of the forest.
- Gewa – Gewa (Excoecaria agallocha) is another important species of the Sundarbans forest. It is a mangrove plant that is highly resistant to salt and can grow up to 10 meters tall.
- Keora – Keora (Sonneratia apetala) is a mangrove tree that is found in the Sundarbans. It is known for its white flowers, which bloom during the summer months.
- Hental – Hental (Phoenix paludosa) is a palm tree that is found in the Sundarbans. It is highly resistant to salt and is used for making ropes, baskets, and mats.
- Dhundul – Dhundul (Xylocarpus granatum) is a mangrove tree that is found in the Sundarbans. It produces a fruit that is used for medicinal purposes.
- Kankra – Kankra (Bruguiera gymnorrhiza) is a mangrove tree that is found in the Sundarbans. It has aerial roots that help it to survive in the saline environment.
- Golpati – Golpati (Nypa fruticans) is a palm tree that is found in the Sundarbans. It is also known as the ‘Tiger Palm’ because its leaves are used for making tiger traps.
These are some of the prominent flora found in the Sundarbans. The mangrove forest of the Sundarbans has a unique ecosystem that supports a wide range of flora and fauna, and it is an important part of the natural heritage of the world.
The taxi fare from Kolkata to Sundarban can vary depending on the type of vehicle, the duration of the trip, and the operator. However, as a rough estimate, a one-way trip from Kolkata to Godkhali Jetty, which is the starting point for most Sundarban tours, can cost anywhere between Rs. 3,500 to Rs. 6,000 for a standard AC sedan car.
If you are planning to hire a larger vehicle like a SUV or a minivan, the fare can go up to Rs. 8,000 to Rs. 10,000. It is advisable to book the taxi in advance to get the best rates and to ensure availability.
However, it is important to note that the taxi fare only covers the journey from Kolkata to Godkhali Jetty and does not include the cost of the boat ride and the tour package for exploring the Sundarban mangrove forests.
Gangasagar, located in the southern part of West Bengal, is a popular pilgrimage site where the Ganges River meets the Bay of Bengal. From the Sundarbans, you can reach Gangasagar via road or river.
By Road: To reach Gangasagar by road from the Sundarbans, you can take a car or taxi to Namkhana, which is the nearest town. From Namkhana, you can take a bus or taxi to reach Gangasagar. The distance between Namkhana and Gangasagar is around 25 kilometers, and it takes around an hour to reach Gangasagar from Namkhana.
By River: Another way to reach Gangasagar from the Sundarbans is via river. You can take a boat or launch from the Sundarbans and reach Kakdwip, which is the nearest town to Gangasagar. From Kakdwip, you can take a bus or taxi to reach Gangasagar. The journey via river is longer and can take several hours, depending on the mode of transportation.
It is important to note that Gangasagar is a popular pilgrimage site and attracts a large number of visitors, especially during the annual Makar Sankranti festival. It is advisable to plan your trip in advance and make necessary arrangements for transportation and accommodation.
Sundarbans is located in the delta region of the Bay of Bengal, and the nearest airport and railway station are in Kolkata, which is about 100 km away. Here are the different ways to reach Sundarbans:
By Road: Sundarbans is well-connected by road from Kolkata. There are several buses and taxis that operate between Kolkata and Sundarbans. The journey takes around 3-4 hours, depending on the traffic.
By Train: The nearest railway station to Sundarbans is Canning Railway Station, which is about 48 km away. There are several trains that run between Kolkata and Canning, and the journey takes around 1-2 hours. From Canning, you can take a taxi or a bus to Sundarbans.
By Water: Sundarbans can also be reached by waterways. There are several boats and ferries that operate between Kolkata and Sundarbans. The journey takes around 6-8 hours, depending on the weather and water conditions.
By Air: The nearest airport to Sundarbans is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a bus to Sundarbans.
Once you reach Sundarbans, you can explore the area by boat safari, which is the best way to experience the mangrove forests and wildlife. It’s recommended to book a package tour that includes transportation, accommodation, and a guide to make the most of your visit to Sundarbans.
Yes, there is a good chance of seeing the Royal Bengal Tiger in Sundarbans. Sundarbans is home to the largest population of Royal Bengal Tigers in the world, with an estimated population of around 100 tigers. However, spotting a tiger in the wild is not guaranteed, as tigers are elusive and prefer to stay hidden in the dense mangrove forests. The best way to increase your chances of spotting a tiger is to take a boat safari along the rivers and canals that criss-cross through the Sundarbans. The guides and boat operators who work in the Sundarbans are experienced in tracking and spotting tigers, and they can help you identify the signs of a tiger’s presence in the area. It’s important to note that while tiger sightings are possible, they are not guaranteed, and it’s important to follow the safety guidelines and regulations when exploring the Sundarbans. It’s also important to respect the tigers’ space and not to disturb them or their natural habitat.
Sundarbans is a beautiful and unique destination with a wide range of flora and fauna. Here are some places that you can visit in Sundarbans:
- Sundarbans National Park: It is the largest mangrove forest in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can go on a jungle safari and spot tigers, crocodiles, and a variety of bird species.
- Sajnekhali Wildlife Sanctuary: It is a popular wildlife sanctuary located in the Sundarbans. You can take a boat ride and watch wildlife and visit the Sajnekhali Watchtower, which offers a panoramic view of the surrounding area.
- Dobanki Watchtower: It is another popular attraction in Sundarbans that offers a stunning view of the mangrove forest. You can also go on a nature walk and spot a variety of birds.
- Netidhopani Watchtower: It is a historic watchtower located in the Sundarbans. You can climb up the tower to get a panoramic view of the surrounding area and visit the Netidhopani Temple, which is believed to be a thousand years old.
- Bhagabatpur Crocodile Project: It is a breeding center for crocodiles in Sundarbans. You can see different species of crocodiles and learn about their conservation.
- Jambudwip: It is a beautiful island in the Sundarbans, which is surrounded by the Bay of Bengal. You can take a boat ride and visit the island to see the natural beauty and enjoy the serene environment.
- Bonnie Camp: It is a popular campsite in Sundarbans, which is located near the Sajnekhali Wildlife Sanctuary. You can enjoy the wilderness and stay in eco-friendly cottages during your visit.
These are some of the top places to see in Sundarbans, but there are many more attractions that you can explore during your visit.
Sundarban Tiger Reserve is a protected area and home to the Royal Bengal Tiger, a critically endangered species. To ensure the conservation of the park and its wildlife, there are certain rules and regulations that visitors must follow. Here are some of the important rules and regulations for visitors to Sundarban Tiger Reserve:
- Visitors must obtain a permit from the Forest Department to enter the park.
- Visitors must be accompanied by a licensed guide at all times.
- Visitors are not allowed to carry any firearms or other weapons.
- Visitors must not disturb or harm any wildlife or damage any flora or fauna.
- Visitors must not litter or pollute the park and should dispose of all waste responsibly.
- Visitors must not enter restricted areas or go off the designated trails.
- Visitors must not light fires or smoke in the park, as this can start a wildfire.
- Visitors must not disturb the peace and tranquility of the park by making loud noises or playing music.
- Visitors must respect the local culture and customs and dress modestly.
- Visitors must follow all safety instructions given by the guide and be aware of the risks involved in the jungle.
By following these rules and regulations, visitors can enjoy a safe and responsible visit to Sundarban Tiger Reserve while contributing to its conservation efforts.
To book a Sundarbans tour, you can follow these steps:
- Research Tour Operators: Do some research to find reliable and reputed tour operators who offer Sundarbans tour packages. You can search online or ask for recommendations from friends or travel agents.
- Check Tour Packages: Once you have shortlisted a few tour operators, check their tour packages to see which one suits your requirements and budget. Make sure to read the itinerary and inclusions carefully.
- Contact Tour Operator: Contact the tour operator either through their website, email, or phone to book the tour. Discuss the tour details, dates, and any specific requirements you may have.
- Make Payment: After finalizing the tour details, make the payment as per the tour operator’s instructions. Most tour operators accept online payments or bank transfers.
- Get Confirmation: Once the payment is received, the tour operator will confirm your booking and provide you with the necessary details such as the tour itinerary, pick-up and drop-off points, and contact details of the guide or driver.
- Prepare for the Tour: Before the tour, make sure to prepare yourself by carrying appropriate clothing, footwear, insect repellent, sunscreen, and other necessary items as per the tour itinerary.
It is advisable to book your Sundarbans tour in advance, especially during peak season, to avoid last-minute hassles.
Welcome to the Sundarbans, the largest mangrove forest in the world! As your tour guide, I will help you make the most of your trip and explore the beauty and diversity of this unique ecosystem. Here are some tips and suggestions to keep in mind during your Sundarbans tour:
- Best time to visit: The best time to visit the Sundarbans is from September to March, when the weather is pleasant and the humidity is relatively low. However, the forest is open to visitors throughout the year.
- Permits and permissions: Before entering the Sundarbans, you will need to obtain a permit from the forest department. You will also need to obtain permission from the local authorities if you plan to visit certain areas of the forest.
- Mode of transportation: The Sundarbans can be explored by boat, which is the primary mode of transportation in the forest. You can hire a private boat or join a group tour. You can also explore the forest by foot, but it is important to be accompanied by a trained guide.
- Safety precautions: The Sundarbans is a wild and unpredictable environment, and it is important to take necessary safety precautions. Wear appropriate clothing and footwear, carry insect repellent, and avoid swimming in the rivers.
- Wildlife sighting: The Sundarbans is home to a variety of wildlife, including the Bengal tiger. However, wildlife sighting is not guaranteed, and it is important to maintain a safe distance from the animals.
- Cultural attractions: In addition to the natural beauty of the Sundarbans, there are several cultural attractions in the surrounding areas, including temples and historic sites.
- Accommodation: There are several accommodation options available in the Sundarbans, including guest houses and resorts. It is advisable to book your accommodation in advance, especially during peak season.
I hope these tips will help you make the most of your Sundarbans tour. Enjoy your trip!
There are several Sundarban tour packages available from Kolkata that cater to different budgets and durations. Here is a sample itinerary of a popular 2-night/3-day tour package:
- Pickup from Kolkata and a 3-hour drive to Godkhali Jetty.
- Board a motorized boat and start the journey towards Sundarbans.
- Enjoy the scenic boat ride through the mangrove forests and spot wildlife along the way.
- Reach the hotel in the afternoon and check-in.
- After lunch, visit the nearby village or relax in the hotel.
- After breakfast, go for a full-day boat safari that includes visits to various watchtowers such as Sajnekhali, Sudhanyakhali, and Dobanki.
- Enjoy wildlife spotting, bird watching, and exploring the mangrove forests with your knowledgeable guide.
- Return to the hotel in the evening and enjoy dinner and cultural programs.
- After breakfast, check out from the hotel and board the boat back to Godkhali Jetty.
- On arrival, you will be transferred back to Kolkata.
The tour package includes all transportation, accommodation, meals, and guided tours. The price of the package can vary depending on the type of accommodation and the number of people in the group.
Other tour packages may include additional activities such as a visit to a crocodile park or a cultural program in the evening. It is important to choose a tour package that suits your budget and interests, and to book in advance to ensure availability.
The price of Sundarbans tour packages can vary depending on the duration of the tour, the type of accommodation, the mode of transportation, and the inclusions in the package. Here is a general idea of the cost of Sundarbans tour packages:
- Day Tour Package: A day tour package of Sundarbans can cost around INR 2,000 to INR 4,000 per person. This usually includes a boat ride, a visit to a watchtower, and meals.
- 2-3 Days Tour Package: A 2-3 days tour package of Sundarbans can cost around INR 8,000 to INR 15,000 per person. This usually includes a boat ride, accommodation, meals, and a visit to various watchtowers and wildlife sighting locations.
- 4-5 Days Tour Package: A 4-5 days tour package of Sundarbans can cost around INR 20,000 to INR 30,000 per person. This usually includes a boat ride, accommodation, meals, and a visit to various watchtowers, wildlife sighting locations, and nearby cultural attractions.
It is important to note that these are approximate prices, and the actual cost may vary depending on the tour operator, season, and other factors. It is advisable to research and compare different tour packages before booking to ensure that you get the best value for your money.
When visiting Sundarbans, it is important to wear comfortable and appropriate clothing that suits the tropical climate and protects you from the sun, insects, and other elements. Here are some clothing items to consider packing for your Sundarbans trip:
- Light and breathable clothing: Choose lightweight and breathable clothing made of cotton or other natural fibers that allow air circulation and keep you cool in the humid climate.
- Full-sleeved shirts and pants: Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants that cover your arms and legs to protect you from insect bites, sunburn, and scratches from thorny vegetation.
- Comfortable footwear: Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes or sandals with a good grip that can protect your feet from mud, water, and sharp objects.
- Sun protection: Carry a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen to protect your face and skin from the harsh sun rays.
- Insect repellent: Apply insect repellent on exposed skin and clothing to protect yourself from mosquito and other insect bites.
- Rain gear: Carry a lightweight rain jacket or poncho in case of sudden rain or boat splashes.
- Swimwear: If you plan to go for a swim, pack a swimsuit or shorts and a quick-drying t-shirt.
It is also important to respect local customs and dress modestly, especially when visiting villages and cultural sites. Avoid wearing revealing or offensive clothing, and cover your head and shoulders when visiting religious places.
A Sundarban package tour can be a great way to experience the natural beauty and wildlife of the Sundarbans, a mangrove forest located in the delta region of the Bay of Bengal. Here are some reasons why you might want to consider a Sundarban package tour: Expert guidance: A package tour often includes an experienced guide who can help you navigate the Sundarbans and identify the various species of plants and animals that live there. Safety and convenience: A package tour can provide a safe and convenient way to explore the Sundarbans. The tour operator will take care of transportation, accommodation, and other logistics, so you can focus on enjoying the experience. Unique experiences: The Sundarbans is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including Bengal tigers, saltwater crocodiles, and numerous species of birds. A package tour can provide opportunities for unique experiences such as spotting tigers on a boat safari, birdwatching, and exploring the mangrove forests. Cultural immersion: The Sundarbans is also home to a number of indigenous communities, such as the Bawalis and the Munda, who have a unique way of life and culture. A package tour can provide opportunities to learn about their traditions and way of life. Overall, a Sundarban package tour can provide a unique and unforgettable experience of one of the most beautiful and biodiverse regions in the world.
Sundarbans is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including some rare and endangered species. Here are some of the wild animals you can see in Sundarbans: Royal Bengal Tiger: Sundarbans is famous for its population of Royal Bengal Tigers, which are the largest cats in the world. They are excellent swimmers and can be seen swimming in the rivers and canals of Sundarbans. Saltwater Crocodile: Sundarbans is also home to one of the largest populations of saltwater crocodiles in the world. These large reptiles can be seen basking in the sun on the mud flats along the riverbanks. Spotted Deer: Spotted deer are a common sight in the Sundarbans, and they can often be seen grazing on the grasslands and open spaces. Wild Boar: Wild boars are also found in Sundarbans, and they can be seen foraging for food in the mangrove forests. Rhesus Macaque: Rhesus macaques are a type of monkey that can be seen in Sundarbans, particularly around the human settlements. Estuarine Dolphin: Sundarbans is home to the endangered Estuarine Dolphin, which can be seen swimming in the rivers and canals. Olive Ridley Turtle: Olive Ridley Turtles, an endangered species, nest in the beaches of Sundarbans, and their hatchlings can be seen making their way to the sea during certain times of the year. These are just a few examples of the wildlife that you can see in Sundarbans, and there are many other species of birds, reptiles, and mammals that inhabit this biodiverse region.